27 October, 2009

yosemite valley in fall colors




This past weekend I had the privilege of visiting Yosemite in autumn. As a good Californian, I've backpacked, camped, climbed, hiked, and worked in Yosemite National Park-but only from June through September. Experiencing Yosemite Valley in fall stunned me. Maple trees' leaves turn gold. The chill of the air reminds me of how luxurious warmth feels. The waterfalls flow with high water volume. Same goes for the Merced River.

Saturday early morning I ran from Upper Pines campsite to 'downtown' Yosemite Village. On the way, I passed a meadow. A thick layer of fog lingered a few feet above the grass. I felt sensory overload. My eyes attempted to memorize and categorize verdant oranges, olive greens, orchid yellows, and brilliant reds. These vegetation colors contrasted with the charcoal gray granite domes highlighted by vertical black streaks.

Once downtown, I read the newspaper headlines from the machines outside the grocery store. I read about how the state of Arizona will privatize their prison system, including death penalty cases and executions. A quote from a politician said something like, "Our only choice is to privatize the prison system, as our state is broke." This logic puzzled me, and still does.

Then, I perused the grocery store as if I wanted more sensory overload. Maybe I sought a reminder of my life spent in a capitalist country that thrives on consumerism. Viewing the number of items available at the grocery store overwhelmed me. I exited in a daze.

I rode the bus around for 15 minutes. I like observing the daily routine and interaction among employees who work at the park. The workers are not federal employees. A private company owns the grocery store and manages hospitality services. Locals from Mariposa County do not enjoy many other employment options other than working for this company at the park.

I wonder what John Muir would make of all this.

Photos: Below Vernal Falls on the Mist Trail; Nevada Falls; granite dome at Nevada Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment