
Ever since I saw decorated candles at a fun souvenir store devoted to Frida Kahlo paraphernalia on Olvera Street in East Los Angeles, I wanted to make my own decorated candles for Day of the Dead. I bought the candles at a party store on Hollister Ave. in Goleta. Feeling inspired Friday, I cut construction paper and fit the paper around the candle. I sketched some ideas in charcoal. Oil pastels in hand, I transferred the images from my head onto paper. I used double-sided tape to attach the paper onto the candle.
The militant skeleton characterizes Tania la Guerillera. I just finished the highly recommended
biography on Tania by Ulises Estrada, so she's on my mind. If you look carefully, you'll see the skeleton wears earrings. The heart on fire with a bleeding wound bound by stitches speaks for itself. Two more candles, green and yellow, await decorating.
No comments:
Post a Comment